Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Amplifier. Which class should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shayaan . do you want to create a class B amplifier or AB ? of course AB . so what is the condition of class AB ?

- - - Updated - - -

But this is a coupling capacitor. If I don't use it then DC voltage will make disturbance with next stage or I will get shifted output. Isn't it?
You can change it's place ! series with out put of each transistor ! did you get the idea ?

Well conditions for class AB. Honestly, I am blank from this side. I just know some little things about this class, its efficiency is 78.5, it is between class A and class B. It is near to cutoff. But don't know conditions.

I told you earlier that I would learn many new things during this project which I have never read before.

You can change it's place ! series with out put of each transistor ! did you get the idea ?

Yes I think I got idea. look an attachment.

- - - Updated - - -

Like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the collector be at -28V if the base is at a positive potential?

I think. No.

But if base is at a negative potential then collector be at negative too. Isn't it?

Attachments

• CE complementary.jpg
    CE complementary.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 83

How collector can give you the out put , without any series resistor ?
And an important law for class AB : biasing BE junctions .

- - - Updated - - -

BTW ; do you know about crossover distortion ?
And another thing : the 78.5 percent can't obtain in practice ! perhaps 68 percent or 72 percent !

godfreyl goldsmith You both experts said me to simulate my circuit.

So I will give you result by tomorrow of my simulation of the circuit that I have posted in post#144

Kindly suggest me better simulating software too.

Thanks. Good night. Its i 3:18AM here.

I will post result tomorrow.

Thanks guys. You both on this forum are so much helpful.

Shayaan , the Pspice would be fantastic ! BTW : which country you are in ? here in my country time is 2:58 morning !

How collector can give you the out put , without any series resistor ?

You mean I should place a resistor between bases of the two circuits. Right?
See attachment please.

And an important law for class AB : biasing BE junctions .

I don't know this law. Thanks for this. Now it is in my knowledge that BE junction should be bias for class AB.

BTW ; do you know about crossover distortion ?

Yes I know about cross over distortion. To prevent cross over distortion we use diode bias class AB. Right?

And another thing : the 78.5 percent can't obtain in practice ! perhaps 68 percent or 72 percent !

Yes I know this. 78.5 is the theoretically efficiency.

- - - Updated - - -

I am from Pakistan. I know you are from IRAN. :) Here is 3:24AM

Attachments

• CE complementary.jpg
    CE complementary.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 76

You mean I should place a resistor between bases of the two circuits. Right?
See attachment please.
No , between collector and vdc . why you used those capacitors in base ? the bse needs DC bias too ? it isn't enough ! .
I don't know this law. Thanks for this. Now it is in my knowledge that BE junction should be bias for class AB.
Do you know the reason of this law ?

No , between collector and vdc

See attachment. I have modified it.

why you used those capacitors in base ? the bse needs DC bias too ? it isn't enough ! .

These are bypass capacitors. I used them so that AC signal could by pass easily.
As you said base needs DC bias too. So it means I should use resistors in individual bases?

Do you know the reason of this law ?

No. Don't know the reason.

Attachments

• CE complementary.jpg
    CE complementary.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

goldsmith you told me to simulate circuit and give result to you. So here it. I know it is completely wrong. Because I don't know correct values of components i.e. resistors and capacitors. Also I don't know which transistor should I use and how much input AC should I use?

Input AC may be 2V.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 80
  • result.JPG
    result.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 72

Shayaan , your circuit has many problems . such as : why you used Vac as input ? it is for frequency response measurement , not sinusoidal wave ! you should use vsin .Why your capacitors are about 1n ? the capacitance of them is so high you should select around 1000 u ! why you used , those capacitors in series with base ?? thus the base has not any DC biasing ! so it can't work !

OH OK OK.. Now I understood why should not I use capacitors at base. If I use voltage divider then I can use capacitor. But here is not any connection between base and vdc. So, capacitors are not necessary.

Can you tell me library for vsin in pspice?
In source library I found vac. There was not vsin.

Also why should we use capacitors of such high values?

i think you forgot to add all of the libraries . press P , when you are in capture CIS , and then select add library . and select all of the thigs that are in your page . and after that , repress P . and then select vsin , easily .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

OK thanks. May I ask what is the difference in vsin and vac source. While both are AC sources.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing. Sir kindly tell me about why could we chose high value capacitors? i.e. 1000n

OK thanks. May I ask what is the difference in vsin and vac source. While both are AC sources.
Vac , will vary the frequency , in the boundary that you'll select at AC sweep . but vsin will give you sa sine wave with your desired specifications .
One more thing. Sir kindly tell me about why could we chose high value capacitors? i.e. 1000n
I think your mean is 1000 u ? because as you probably know each capacitor has a reactance . that will given by XC=1/2*pi*F*C (F*2*pi called omega ) . the aim of that capacitor is to be short circuit instead of AC signal . but if the value that you have selected will be low , it won't be as short circuit as enough .

Yes I mean 1000u. And yes of course I know we have to short circuit AC signal. But don't know how much value is required to short AC. Thanks. You make me understand. I will give you result by tomorrow with modifications. Thanks once more sir.

Hi goldsmith
Here is modified schematic. I have used 5v amplitude and 20KHz frequency. And 2500u capacitors. Two +-30V dc.

Attachments

• CE test result.JPG
    CE test result.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 66
  • CE test.JPG
    CE test.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 75

Hi shayaan . What happened ? you changed your circuit with a CE ?? you was working on CB ! where is your input coupling capacitor ?

Hi shayaan . What happened ? you changed your circuit with a CE ?? you was working on CB ! where is your input coupling capacitor ?

Yes you give me a CE circuit that's why I think to try CE first. If I success in this then I will move to CB.

See attachment please.

I have placed coupling capacitors. Now I think circuit's components are all placed. But don't know which values should I use for components. For example, I am using resistors of 1K. Don't know how much values should I use. Help me. I want to complete my project.

Attachments

• CE test result.JPG
    CE test result.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 68
  • CE test.JPG
    CE test.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 55

Hi Shayaan

There is a problem with your simulator settings.

Your input is 20KHz.This is fine but remember the period for a 20 KHz wave = 1 / 20KHz = 50uS.

You are only looking at the output for 1uS, so you see only a small piece of the waveform.

If you let the simulator run for 200uS, then you will see a few waves at the output, and get a good idea what the circuit is doing.

Regards - Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.