Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding Mutual induction between coil and metal plate

Waqas_azeb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Members,

I am trying to calculate the mutual inductance between the metal plate sandwiched between two copper coils. I can find the mutual inductance between the two coils but I want to calculate the mutual inductance between the the each coil with the metal plate.

Can anyone please help me with that, I have attached the ANSYS Maxwell file.

Thanks!

No files attached, but what is inductance of metal plate? An inductor needs two terminals, isn't it? Please show a sketch of the setup.

Are you referring to inductance reduction caused by metal plate?

Please see the files here. The metal plate I used is Aluminum, with a thieckness of 0.5mm. The length and breadth are 100mm * 100mm.

Attachments

• eda.rar
    88.8 KB · Views: 22
  • aed.png
    aed.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
This is the sketch from ANSYS. I have used ferrite on top and at the bottom of the coils.

Attachments

• aed2.jpg
    aed2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 28
I don't see how you can assign an inductance to the metal plate. You can model its effect either as a modification of L1 and L2 (reduced inductance, increased loss factor) or by a parallel connected lossy inductance L1a, L2a.

I don't see how you can assign an inductance to the metal plate. You can model its effect either as a modification of L1 and L2 (reduced inductance, increased loss factor) or by a parallel connected lossy inductance L1a, L2a.
Actually, I dont want to assign inductance to the metal plate. I want to assign current excitation, just for the sake of getting the value of mutual inductance between the plate and the coils. By doing so I can find the mutual inductances but the problem is I cant apply Boolean operations on the metal plate as I cant subtract the bigger box then a smaller one and thats where my problem lies.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 25
  • matrix to get inductances.jpg
    matrix to get inductances.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 26
just for the sake of getting the value of mutual inductance between the plate and the coils
I think you can get mutial inductance by evaluating two simulations:
1. coil alone, no metal plate
2. coil over your plate, using plate material perfect conductor (PEC)

From simulation 1 you get inductance L1
From simulation 2 you get inductance (L1-M)

Thank you for your reply.

If I will do what you suggested, then I dont think that I would be able to find the mutual inductances between the two coils. I am interested in finding the mutual inductances between each coil with the metal sheet as well as the mutual inductance between the two coils at the same time.

Best,
Waqas

By the same time, I mean to get the simulation results of;

1: The mutual inductance between the metal plate and coil1.
2: The mutual inductance between the metal plate and coil2.
3: The mutual inductance between coil1 and coil 2.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back