Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Element FLX-2210 LCD TV Repair (Shutdown problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

imran99

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This one was a simple diagnoses but a little tricky to repair. The TV would turn on for a few seconds, just enough to see the Element LOGO and then the display shut down.

I suspected the inverter board or the CCFL lamps. I started with the lamps. I have a very generic CCFL lamp tester and tested each of the four lamps. Sure enough one did it not light. I then connected some spare lamps to the TV inverter board and all four spare lamps lit up and stayed lit.

Now I was 100% sure the only problem was with the one bad lamp. It's a little tricky getting to the lamps. You have to disassemble the LCD screen. Be very careful especially with the Tape Carrier Package. It is very delicate and pretty much unrepairable after getting torn.

I bought the replacement bulbs from CCFL Warehouse and actually saved around $8:00 by using there E-Bay Store.

I replaced all four lambs and carefully reassembled the TV. After completion I tested the TV and it worked once again. To be sure it would stay operational I benched tested it for a 24 hour period connected to a amp meter. The meter showed a steady normal Amp Draw.

This one was easy to diagnose but I learned through experience. It's not always the power supply or inverter board so keep a open mind and check the simple things first. I could have easily spent several hours trying to diagnose the power supply or inverter board had I not performed these simple tests first.

Another good tip is to take pictures of the disassemble, wire connections and the closeup of the boards. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. They have helped me tremendously with the reassembly of complicated devices especially with wiring routing and connections.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.