Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's wrong with the 77GHz antenna design?

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Gurus,
I designed a conventional 1X6 patch antenna for 77GHz, and got the max gain 14.2dB.
I want to increase the gain more than 1dB but with limited length, so I designed an antenna with the following pattern.
The problem is that this pattern also have the max gain 14dB., even I made is 1X8 patch.
So what's wrong with my design?
Best,
Tony Liu
Antenna 2024-04-26 162226.jpg

I think you get radiation loss from folded lines discontinuities, which straight lines don't have.
Try using inset feeding, which somehow compensate the small length of the lines, which also give less mutual coupling between patch elements, resulting in higher array gain.

Attachments

• inset.jpg
    inset.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 12
  • inset2.jpg
    inset2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 13

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think you get radiation loss from folded lines discontinuities, which straight lines don't have.
The main issue is "stacking distance"

I created a patch array in my EM tool with 6 or 8 identical patches (all same size, not stepped as shown by tony).
I used probe feed so that we have no issue from meandered lines.

With 6 patches spaced at lambda/2, directivity is 14.1 dBi
With 8 patches spaced at lambda/2, directivity is 14.7 dBi, so the benefit of 2 extra elements is not that much

If we squeeze the 8 elements as shown here, with reduced spacing 0.57 * lambda/2, directivity drops to 14.4 dBi
So indeed, it doesn't make much difference for gain if we go from 6 elements at regular spacing to 8 elements with much reduced spacing.

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back