Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vector network analyser

aparnakrishna

Junior Member level 3
Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai, I have a new Anritsu VNA . Whether I need to calibrate it before starting the measurement? Also what are the connectors that i can use with this to connect my patch antenna.
ANyone has experience in this please help me.
Regards
Aparna

Without calibration, measurements refer to instrument front panel connectors as refernce plane. Purpose of calibration is to eliminate the effect of cables and connectors. Single port measurements, e.g. antenna impedance should be referenced to DUT interface.

If the antenna has a local connector, we would preferably perform a reflection calibration (SOL, short, open load) at the antenna. Because antennas have usually a wide S parameter range so that small deviations don't matter, it can be sufficient to add a "port extension" to calibration parameters, in other words shift the reference plane by a known cable length without considering cable or connector non-ideality.

Reflection calibration at the VNA port using SOL ? so whether I need to buy separate calibration kit for that?

Attachments

• Agilent_Advanced_VNA_calibration.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 37
  • Agilent Fundamentals of Network Analysis 5965-7707E.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It needs certainly a calibration. ALL measurements in this world are relative.

so whether I need to buy separate calibration kit for that?
Depends on your accuracy requirements and frequency range. In case of antenna measurements, simple self-elaborated calibration kit will usually do. Under circumstances, you want a calibration kit for a custom antenna connector that isn't available on the market.

In similar antenna measurements, I found it practical to calibrate the VNA with pigtail for a reference plane at the antenna U.FL connector, using self-elaborated U.FL SOL adapters.

thank you all.
--- Updated ---

Also, I am looking for the waveguide components in the X band, if we need a calibration kit or can use the one supplied with the VNA.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back