Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

unexpected behavior of the matching components on the Smith chart / VNA

med_a

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm using the Smith chart on a VNA to determine the matching circuit for my PCB (an RF switch (LoRa, WiFi and GNSS) and an antenna (NN02-224)). I used theory to find the matching networks for GNSS and LoRa, and the VNA showed good results.

However, I couldn't get a good match for WiFi. I've used theory and several configurations (L-matching, T and Pi networks) and the first component behaves as expected (moving the point in the Smith chart to the intersection with the 1ohm circle). But as soon as I add the second component, the behavior is not as expected (instead of eliminating the reactance, the point moves up in the Smith chart).
I've changed the configuration: start with a series component (whether L or C) and then a shunt component, but the problem remains the same.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Thanks

Hello Med_a
I thnik the issue is that you has calibrated your VNA at the wrong point. You should calibrate it using Short/Open/through, exactly on the point on board where you want to have 50 ohm which is usually the pin of WiFi chip.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back