Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroid core

Pixelx

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

How to calculate the estimated power of a toroidal ferrite core?

For cores such as EE, ETD, the winding window dimension is needed. However, how to calculate the estimated power for a toroidal core taking into account the current density.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm still wondering about this issue. Because in fact I don't have documentation because I have an unknown core, so I research it myself.

1. I can measure the losses in mW/cm^3 for the entire hysteresis loop with a meter of my own construction and determine watts from that. Is this a more accurate result? In my opinion, yes, because we see real losses resulting from the remagnetization of the core.

2. Will the secondary with 50 turns take up more space because it will have a larger wire diameter? Is that what you had in mind?

knowing the current required - you can calc the I^2R of each winding and add all these up and the core losses - if this is too high - you need to start again with a bigger core.
Yes, it makes sense knowing the losses on the hysteresis loop + eddy current losses which I am unable to determine. Is it possible to determine eddy losses knowing the wire and hysteresis losses? Is there any pattern to this?

4. Another question is what are the formulas I provided above that allow you to estimate the core power for different topologies? Should each core shape be approached this way? This approach makes sense in my opinion for different cores

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: