Timer relay question! Help needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you change the wiring according to the last diagram (#98) ?

Now, when you turn on the switch the relay activates, then immediately deactivates. I can't adjust the delay anymore...

Now, when you turn on the switch the relay activates, then immediately deactivates. I can't adjust the delay anymore...!

Try turn the right preset resistor half way. Check the results.

Check if we have the right transistors on each position.

So, what are the results if you change the adjustments for the variable resistors?

Nothing. I can't do anything now. Relay just clicks on, then off in about a second and I can't adjust it.

In this case we need to add a supplementary transistors (TIP3055 + 1N4007 diode).

Attachments

• Auto DPDT relay vers 2.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 71

Try this way. :-D

Attachments

• Timer TIP3055_TIP42.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 65

Ok. I'm working on it now.

What about leg 3 of tip 42?

Corrected, connected to +12V . :-D

Attachments

• Timer TIP3055_TIP42x.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 77
Eureka!!!! It Works!!!! Your the freakin' greatest! Should I upgrade any of the components? Maybe get some stronger pots, because I can see it spark inside. They are 50vdc/0.1W. They're really sensitive to trim too, since I only need about 5 seconds.

Normally the pots need to be series with a small resistor just to prevent adjusting near to zero value (sparks inside due to charged capacitors). Now if the timing are OK you can measure the value of the pots and to replace them with some fixed resistors. (Just to avoid any changes of the circuit adjustments in the car).
I’m glad we have finally found out our problem.

Thank you so much for your help mister_rf! I LITERALLY could not have done this without you! I'm going to assemble everything onto a circuit board. I'll post a pick when I'm done. I really appreciate all the time and effort you invested in helping me with this.

Also, could you please post a revised schematic showing the 2 resistors in place of the 2 pots? I measured about 1K.

Simple.
As an approximation of the doubling time delay need doubling resistor value (1k, 2.2k, 3.3k, 4.7k and so on). You already have some 4.7k spare resistors, use them instead of the pots and check the results.

Attachments

• Timer fix resistor.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 66

Here's what it looks like (2x2 inch board) until I put in fixed resistors:

Nice job, take care of ‘’cross wires’’, need to consider isolating that piece of wire.

Attachments

• cross wires.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 65

Thanks. There's a lot more space between there than it seems in the picture. I might have to do it over anyway because its not working now. Relay won't activate. It did for a second, then it stopped. I've been going over it, trying to see if I missed a connection or something, but no luck. I just put it aside for a while cause I was up for hours trying to figure it out. Figured I'd come back to it with fresh eyes. Then I may see if I did something wrong. Other possibility is something went bad from constant heat (which I think is the case). Either way I'll figure it out and correct it. Either the pots or transistors. But I'll probably replace everything just in case. Thanks again for all your help mister_rf!!!

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Also, if I want to make the connection process easier by going with the BDW transistors, so I can do away with the 2 smaller transistors, could you please show me the layout for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.