Timer relay question! Help needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NTE2341 for the NPN.
NTE2342+TIP42+1N4007 for the PNP.
That's the combination I have used in the last schematics, also for the PCB layout.

Ok. I'll try it out and let you know what happens

---------- Post added at 04:28 ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 ----------

Just realized you used 4 1N4007 diodes. I have 2 1N4007's and 2 1N4005's. Does that matter?

---------- Post added at 04:29 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Just realized you used 4 1N4007 diodes. I have 2 1N4007's and 2 1N4005's. Does that matter?

Not so important for this application. In the current schematics only 3 diodes are needed.

Sorry. Just noticed and was about to correct myself. Almost done. Not using a breadboard yet. Just soldering the connections together loose. Then I'll post a picture.

Ok. Here's what I got:

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 68

Need you to explain where the wires go though. Except for 12v and ground.

You can do better, :smile: need to cut and trim excess wires on every component.
Do you have some photos for the DPDT relay?

Lol! This is not the final job. I just want to give it a test run before I make it all nice and neat on the circuit board. I wanted you to be able to see all the connections in case I made a mistake somewhere. As for relay photos, I posted some in #61. But I'll post a couple more. I used the schematic you posted in #49.

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

This is it right here: NTE R14-11D10-12 10A 12VDC DPDT General Purpose Relay

Some changes to do in the circuit. :-D

Attachments

• Changes.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 62

Circuit connected to the DPDT relay.

Attachments

• Connection to Relay.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 85

Yes, that’s OK now. Use also a fuse (2-3A) in between power supply and timer circuit.

I forgot to pick up a polyswitch. I'll get one today. Don't have a fuse & holder on hand right now. I have hooked everything up. I want to use my DMM to test. Should I use voltage, since it will give both positive and negative readings?

You don’t need to use a DMM now. :-D Let’s connect and see the results. For the test purposes only you may use a separate 12V power supply and connect directly the wire for Ignition Key to the 12V power supply (ON and OFF) to start timers.

Nope. Nothing. I have a motor I found laying around hooked up to it, and a 12v adapter for my external hard drive. The relay doesn't activate at all. The capacitor on the right in the picture gets warm. Nothing else seemed to heat up. My switch across the ignition feed has an led that pulses when the switch is turned on. That's all that's happening right now.

Upss, need to change some wires to the relay... :grin:

See the diagram.

Attachments

• Modified connections.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 63
Important:
Need to use a small screwdriver to turn the centre part of the preset resistor, right or clockwise, altering the value of the resistance, see the picture attached.

Attachments

• adjustments.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 59

Ok. We're half way home. The motor only turns in one direction. It wont reverse. When the switch is turned off the motor shuts off also. I tried it like 20 times. Also, if you cut the switch off while the motor is spinning it stops. Then if you try to cut it back on quickly, the relay will not activate. Actually, it half activates. If you hold it you can feel a slight click, but it will not fully engage. You have to wait between 3 and 5 seconds before it will fully activate again.

Status
Not open for further replies.