Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speedometer Circuit Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres that diagram was i correct?

Yes. Don't forget the power pins (7,14) are often not shown in diagrams, but do need to be hooked up. John

Check the datasheet. I believe the chip you have has an operating range of 3 to 18 V, so 12V should be OK.

John

Well i have it all hooked up and everything seems to be right but just does not seem to be working. Not sure how to test the signal coming out of the chip

Can you read the signal coming into the chip with a digital voltmeter? If so, test the signal coming from the chip. It will not necessarily be half, but it should change as the signal changes. If you have a NE555 or LM555, you can make a oscillator to simulate the signal. Of course, the best way to test it would be with an oscilloscope, but I assume you do not have one.

John

The only way I can get the signal to work is while moving. So that won't really work easily. No I don't have an oscilloscope

You can build a simple '555 oscillator or CMOS inverter oscillator to test it, or test it while moving. I would prefer bench testing it. Maybe you could set up a push button switch to simulate the signal, but much slower, and look at the output with your voltmeter or even an LED. There should be one output pulse for every two input pulses.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.