Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sensor for diameter of a pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if light detectors were made small enough to put close together. But say...

I seem to recall that your everyday computer scanner uses a row of infinitesimal light sensors.

Suppose you break off about a 3/8 inch long segment?

Hook up each individual sensor. Or every other one. Or every third one. Whatever suits your resolution requirements.

Shine a light down on the detector row. The light should be a point source.

Lay the pencil crosswise.

The number of dark sensors tells you the diameter of the pencil.

If you don't want to hook up all the detectors individually, you might hook up only the ones near the expected dimensions of the pencil.

Or wire them in an additive way to give an analog reading of voltage/ current. The more detectors darkened, the lower the voltage. Etc.

Last edited:

Last edited:

That is exactly what CCD line sensors do.

Yes. That's just what I was thinking of. A single row of minute optical sensors.

And they make it all in one chip (CCD134 as you stated).

So no need to bust up a computer scanner to scavenge the part I was talking about. :wink:

You can modify a laser beam to throw an line instead of a spot, using a lens. Some photo-electric transistors could be used as sensing elements, these would have to be placed quite close to each other, I have made a sketch of the scheme.

Hi KAK111, "I have one more idea with cheap HD-webcam"

I think this is a good idea, I will try.
But, Did you have literature or samples of the circuit? Please...

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Hi Arbj,
Can you give me information about : sensor array?
Data sheet may be?

Thank's for all my friends,
Now I try with infrared. and then OK, work success full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back