Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relation between PCB trace width and number of layers

newbie_hs

Advanced Member level 4
Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design a PCB for RF Application.
The board contains jsut 4 sma connectors .Connected as shown below.

1729021813011.png

The frequency of operation is 20Ghz. Trace impedance should be 50 Ohm.Current 1A
Initially I decided to use 2layer board.Then I was told to use 4 layer board .The reason was told is it will help to reduce the trace width.

May I know is there any relation between PCB trace width and number of layers

You are creating planar, coplanar or embedded transmission lines. Correct trace width for 50 ohm impedance is different for each transmission geometry.

I don't see a general advantage in using multiple layers for RF transmission lines. Assume you achieve highest power rating with basic planar geometry (two layer).

For microstrip,the impedance is directly related to the distance between a trace and ground plane. In other words, for a given impedance, a thinner pcb will require a thinner trace, but adding layers does nothing.

HOWEVER, if you use stripline, i.e., 3 layers, you can use a thinner width.

Look at this.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back