Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Quantization noise in ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_pearl

Newbie level 4
Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I found this equation for quantization noise in Analog Integrated Circuit Design by Tony Chan Carusone, David Johns and Kenneth Martin chapter 15 page 610 under the topic Quantization noise using deterministic approach.
Could someone please explain to me how they substitute Vlsb for Vq in the first step ?

1720663809687.png

math.png

Solution
As said by wwfeldman, from write upper graph Vq goes from 1/2Vlsb to -1/2Vlsb while the time "t" goes from -T/2 to T/2. It's clearly a ramp so you can describe it by a linear expression:

Vq = a*t + b

sustituting:

1/2*Vlsb = a*(-T/2) + b
-1/2*Vlsb = a*(T/2) + b

solving this simple 2 simultaneous equation we have:

a = -Vlsb/T
b = 0

then

Vq = -Vlsb*t/T
in the upper right graph, Vq vs time, the graph lies between -1/2 Vlsb and +1/2 Vlsb
Vq is measured in Vlsb

Vq is theoretical while Vlsb is practical representation thereof

i would think the explanation is in the text

As said by wwfeldman, from write upper graph Vq goes from 1/2Vlsb to -1/2Vlsb while the time "t" goes from -T/2 to T/2. It's clearly a ramp so you can describe it by a linear expression:

Vq = a*t + b

sustituting:

1/2*Vlsb = a*(-T/2) + b
-1/2*Vlsb = a*(T/2) + b

a = -Vlsb/T
b = 0

then

Vq = -Vlsb*t/T

Solution

Vq = a*t + b

sustituting:

1/2*Vlsb = a*(-T/2) + b
-1/2*Vlsb = a*(T/2) + b

a = -Vlsb/T
b = 0

then

Vq = -Vlsb*t/T
Thank you for your explanation I understand now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back