Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power/Energy meter that uses the cirrus CS5463 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiserguy

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power-Factor Issue

I have designed a Power/Energy meter that uses the cirrus CS5463 part. It works a treat - I think. The problem started when I used a Xitron $17K Power Analyser to check its calibration.

The reference load was a heat gun - half wave rectified element and DC motor - yes a crappy load I agree but people use these things and might want to know the Power-Factor - hopefully we can help them..........

The data for realW, apparentVA, ARMS & PF for the Xitron versus my unit are
1) 878W, 1249VA, 5.094A, 0.7029
2) 873W, 957VA, 3.908A, 0.912

My Tektronix TrueRMS says 3.8883ARMS - unless it is set to AC+DCRMS then it says 5.08ARMS

My question is which answer is more/only correct? The xitron uses shunts not current transformer so its not a saturation issue. Both answers are feasible and yield the correct true power from the sum of the VA and PF - but I am sure both cant be correct ?

I always assumed VRMS x IRMS was VA I dont remember learning anything about DC offset except for saturation of tranformers - which are not involved (ok to a miniscule amount) here.

FYI if I turn off the HPF in the Cirrus part I get the same results as the Xitron - but is that the right answer ? We are being supplied AC and measuring the AC energy warts and all should I need to turn on the DC pass option.

Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

Re: Power-Factor Issue

Total RMS current is 5.08A. The 3,88A comes from a feature of the used meter, when we can measure the RMS value of only AC part. Since your load is connected via half-wave rectifier there always be significant DC part and we should use AC+DC setting for proper measuring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.