Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OPA454 shows clipping and odd distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a darlington pair (TIP120) is slower (its delay causes phase shift above 1MHz) than a Sziklai pair. The phase shift causes the opamp to oscillate when negative feedback is added without frequency compensation.
Hee, hee. I typed "phase shift" but the "f' wasn't printed. Does it smell like roses?

I also used the CFP in 1975 but never knew it had a name or a patent.

Best bet is to use 3 NPN and 1 PNP with thermal and ESR matching diodes to Re * hFE values

This then becomes a Darlington-Sziklai quad or simply I call it Quasimoto power

.. Quasi mo power

500 Watt peak. excellent linearity, bandwidth and stability,, crossover distortion starts > 500Wpk in 1R load.

The benefit is lower cost, high linearity and matched NPN driver pair.

The down side is heat loss is high and efficiency is low.

Why will using a CFP make it more prone to oscillation by the way? What is the op-amp now 'seeing' that makes it want to oscillate?

CFP output stages suffer from high-frequency instability due to more local feedback in the CFP loop. Here the loop gain will be a function of beta, ft( of output transistors ) and Miller capacitance of the output transistors.

Due to the Miller capacitance, the CFP configuration has inherent turn-off problems resulting in high-frequency distortion and possible shoot-through problems. This will be more of a problem in high-power applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.