Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minimum lenght in analog design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eda4you

Full Member level 5
Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Maybe someone can help me answering the following question!

For instance assuming a differential nmos input stage. Making the Area W*L for each transistor larger as well as the channel lenght, assures a better matchig and (?) a lower input noise. But on the other hand a larger area will be consumed and (?) the cut off frequency will decrease. Are my consideration right?

To sum it up, I don't know how to choose the L for my input stage in a 0.25µ process. Looking at other designs a lenght is choosen about two times the minimum channel lenght. Why???

For your information, definning W & L are very important to ensure your design meet your spec such as to define your current, gain and etc.

To define a better W & L is very important to ensure low noise because it relate to the noise calculations and simulations! For example, for flicker noise...

Idn = Kf*Id/(Cox*L*L*f0) for NLEV=0

= Kf*Id/(Cox*L*W*f0) for NLEV=1

*NLEV is set when you need to do the simulations

So, it's better to have a wide W & L values but the drawback is it will limit your freq response as wide W&L will have a bigger parasitic cap! Therefore, an acceptable value of W&L are needed to achieve your spec!

The minimum value of L for 0.25um tech is 0.25um itself, but you can have larger value to have smaller noise with acceptable freq response!

start with your desired gain. we know that gain of a diff pair is gm * rout1||rout3 where rout1 is output reisistance of the diff transistor and rout3 is output reisistance of the mirror transistor.

since your W/L ratio can be the same for many different L don't worry about W now - you will seem to solve for it later.

if you want 50V/V gain (Av) you can either have a 50uA/V mosfet, W/L of 1 and Rout of 1,000,000.
or...
50uA/V mosfet, W/L of 100 and Rout of 100,000
or..
100uA/V mosfet, W/L of 50 & Rout of 100k

now you already know a big mosfet is quiet and slower, and a small mosfet is fast and noisy but remember that larger has much better matching which i think is much more important. it is all these tradeoffs that make your final W/L

in fact, most of the designers i know only use minimum L (0.25u) for their digital! they feel that the very small Rout of a 0.25u device gives such bad current accuracy it's no use!

Status
Not open for further replies.