Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is energy regeneration is practical in electronic devices...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_k_b

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am attaching a a page from a company brochure.In this they are telling about an energy regeneration system..We know that in every system there will be an energy loss,here they are capturing that energy(loss energy) and they will store it in a battery.is it possible??

doubt2.jpg

Are you sure?is it impossible?....i had contact the company,then they said they are using a technique to restore loss energy(inductive loss)...is it possible to convert and store inductive loss energy in a battery?

Be practical buddy How can you convert power lost in the inductor in the form of flux, lost in a battery

It is not feasible

If we use the same technique of 'inductive charging' then i think its possible...am i right?..i heard that some electric toothbreash and vehicles are using inductive charging now

Thats something completely different. Basically a transformer with the primary connected to the power source and the secondary to the battery (via circuits), their proximity allows magnetic coupling and hence power transfer between them. It saves using connectors which could be unreliable or unsafe in certain environmental conditions but is less efficient at conveying power. For example, you wouldn't want a mains power plug in your toothbrush while cleaning your teeth! (I'll guarantee some idiot wouldn't unplug it first :shock:)

The others are right about the claim, while it is certainly possible to recover energy in some circumstances, that isn't one of them.

Brian.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That company probably promise 20-30% electricity saving in bills. Better use "Power Saver" with power factor correction, they promise 40% saving.

Joking aside, in conventional well-known parts and designs there is little space for excitement in this power saving situations, but with newest lab reasearch for material and parts, newer design will come, with better efficiency and possibility. But for spectacular and "Real Miracle" we need new Nikola Tesla in this field.

I think soon as next step we will have super batteries and cheap solar panels, without this we cant go forward.

@betwixt:- Then in your opinion, is it not possible to regenerate power from the inductive or reactive loss??

@tpeter:- Yeah you are right,but I think the power factor correction equipment is not suitable for domestic users because the electricity bills is only depend on the 'real power' not the 'apparent power'.But it seems 'energy regeneration' technique is slightly different,that is why I am asking about that.

What you must consider is that these losses are mnimized anyway in the design of equipment and in order to recover power you need additional circuitry which in itself will have losses and most importantly, the losses are probably some distance from the 'recovery' mechanism. It may be possible to recover some power but the notion that the source itself is able to recover lost power while at the same time feeding the system losses is silly. Also bear in mind that PFC will be present in many loads and this would tend to make the load seem less reactive anyway.

So in short - not impossible, but not practical. In your case, it's advertizing hype.

Brian.

the losses are probably some distance from the 'recovery' mechanism. It may be possible to recover some power but the notion that the source itself is able to recover lost power while at the same time feeding the system losses is silly
But here the regenerated power(ie. from reactive loss) will store in a separate battery bank.

...Then do you think PFC is really helpful to reduce the reactive loss?..Actually what is the principle idea behind the PFC?

Power factor =(Real power)/(Apparent power).if the real power=Apparent power then the power factor=1.With a power factor correction capacitor is it possible to achieve this all?

Last edited:

There is several good threads on EDABoard about this topic, you can search.

Read about PFC and inductive loads, such as motors.

The claim is only explaining inverter operation. The document has no contents. Just ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.