Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to know if a fuse is of good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umery2k75

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently had a blown up fuse of 20A.I put it in a new fuse of 20A. After a few hours, I noticed that the fuse got melt, but didn't blown up. I replaced the fuse with a 25A. Still my new fuse got melt after a few hours. I used the clamp meter to check out the DC current flowing. The current was around 15A with a voltage of 12V. I thought maybe there's a short circuit. I opened up all the wiring, I ended up in spending two days trying to figure out any faulty wire. Still I didn't get to any point. I had few other fuses of some other company. I put it in a new 20A fuse of another company. To my surprise, the fuse didn't get heat up nor it got melted. I doubled checked the ampere rating of fuse. It was same 20A. I then hooked up the Ohm-meter to check the resistance of two fuses. If I remember correctly the resistance of two fuses came out to be 0.4Ohm or 0.04Ohm. These were the values and the resistance of two fuses were the same. One was getting hot,melting and another remain cooled. To say in a general word, the fuse was of low quality, but in terms of electricial quantities. How should I express this? Size, plastic cover of fuse, and even the terminal looked samed to me. Resistance came about to be the same.Is there any way, one can judge, whether fuses are of good quality or not? I kept on thinking, there must be some other thing beside the fuse. When it was the finally the problem of fuse.

fuses melting

Fuses have more specifications than just rated current. Particularly resistance respectively voltage drop. You should check this with your fuses. Equal "cold" resistance doesn't necessarily imply equal voltage drop at rated current.

Your description sounds like one of the fuses simply isn't keeping the rated current specification. If so, you should take it as a fact rather than searching for a complex theory behind it.

In some cases, a fuse may trip below the rated current due to a defective or unsuitable fuse holder.

check resistance of a fuse

Is the current flowing thru the fuse pure DC or mixed with AC current?
Suggest to check the voltage drop across the fuse when it is powered, both DC and AC.
If all checking results are same, then it is the fuse quality issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.