Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find common mode voltage in RS-422 Communication Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalaianand

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi..

Can anyone tell me, how to estimate the common mode voltage in a RS-422 Interface Line?

For a standard RS-422 Interface, The differential voltage level is ± 6V.

The alowable common mode voltage is ±7V. What does it mean?

If There is no disturbance or transient occur in the transmission, what will be the common mode voltage?

The alowable common mode voltage range is ±7V. What does it mean?
That the differential voltage levels can be +7/-7 or +7/-5 or +5/-7 or +6/-6V .

what will be the common mode voltage?
I don't think that a common mode voltage expression makes much sense for a differential voltage signal. The std. logic levels are given by +6/-6 resp. -6/+6V.

Of course you could define its common mode voltage as the center of both differential voltages, i.e. 0V for a ±6V (or ±7V) system, or e.g. +1V for a +7/-5V system.

A strict interpretation means the the common-mode (average voltage) can be ±7V with a ±6V differential voltage added to that, giving a maximum voltage ranging from +13V to -13V. But it may mean the the maximum average CM voltage can only be ±1V with maximum peaks of +7V to -7V.

Status
Not open for further replies.