Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: What key points should be paid attention to to improve home network security?

gavinray

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear forum members,

As the number of home network devices increases, I become more and more concerned about the security of my home network. From smart TVs and smart refrigerators to home security monitoring systems, it seems like every device can be a potential security vulnerability. I want to strengthen the security of my home network, but I'm not sure where to start.

Here are a few questions, I hope you can provide some opinions:

What are the common security threats to home networks and how should I identify them?
What security measures must be set when configuring routers and wireless networks?
For various smart home devices, how should I manage their security settings to prevent potential intrusions?
Are there any recommended security tools or software, especially ones suitable for the average home user?

I know this is a complex issue, but any advice on how to increase your home network security would be very helpful. If you have personal experience or know of some practical resources, please share them with me.

Thank you all so much for your time and help!

good luck

Hi,

there are attacks from
* internet --> your home

and there are
* your home devices --> internet

The upper ones can be stopped by useful firewall settings

For the others:
* do you want your home devices to connect to the internet? For what services?
* if you don´t want them to connect to the internet you can set firewall.

Many home devices claim they need connection to the internet. (Maybe your house door bell connects to your cellular phone). Then it´s rather difficult to find out what data is really sent - in both directions - and to allow/stop some services.

Using some ethernet sniffer (like ethereal / Wireshark) may help, but needs some time and experience.

Klaus
--- Updated ---

Added:

To avoid/reduce external attacks:
* disable PING reponse
* OPEN only necessary ports (close all others)

Also you may also consider to divide your home network. Into a DMZ (example: doorbell) and your "Safe zone" (example: file server) using a second firewall.

Klaus

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: