Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hai....... i am trying code for serial in parallel out .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramana

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i got error at "=" please help me

module sipo12(d,c,r,q);
input d,c,r;
output [2:0]q;
reg [2:0]q;
always @(negedge c);
begin
if(r)
q=3'b000;
else begin q[2]=d;
q[1]=q[2];
q[0]=q[1];end
end

Some suggestions...

1. Use Verilog 2001 module port declarations
2. use something other than 1 character names (the sooner you learn that habit the sooner others will no longer curse your name/code when they have to take it over when your gone)
3. don't use = (blocking assignments) in a clocked always block use <= (non-blocking). As written your code won't perform a shift operation.
4. use posedge clk unless you've got a good reason for using the negative edge.
5. use good formatting to make code readable/maintainable

Code Verilog - [expand]
module sipo (
  input d_in,
  input clk,
  input rst,
  output reg [2:0] q_out
);

always @ (posedge clk) begin
    if (rst) begin
      q_out <= 3'b0;
    end else begin
      q_out <= {d_in, q_out[2:1]};
    end
  end

endmodule

If you need q_out to update only after 3-bits have been shifted in then you'll need a separate shift register instead of directly using q_out and a counter to keep track of the number of shifts. The q_out value will then be updated on the count of 2'b10 (count of 0-2).

I think the error is on the always @ line. There should not be a ';' at the end of that line.

Don't use blocking assignnents in synchronous ckts. This will update all the output bits q[0],q[1] and q[2] to the same value 'd'.

Status
Not open for further replies.