Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Gang Center Tapped Potentiometer

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm repairing a Toshiba RT-SF1, where I have to replace the volume potentiometer. It is a 7 terminal dual gang linear 50kOhm potentiometer (50KBx2 from Alps). Both resistors have a fixed center tap (e.g. R_71 = 25k constant). Unfortunately it seems such potentiometers aren't available anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I can get this type of potentiometer?

Poti_50KBx2.png

BR

Electrical contact cleaner works on some potentiometers but not all.
Even so that model looks so small and near-impossible to take apart and reassemble.
Its entire design looks so unusual it's not likely to find a replacement.

Consider putting in photosensors (cadmium sulfide type) which are covered and uncovered by the linear actuator. Illuminate the sensors with a single led. Adjust for matching response.

If a DC volt level were present you might instead consider some kind of dual transistor (fet, mosfet) volume control.

I can't figure the 7 pin arrangement. How many and which ones are ground. Signal In, signal out?

Hi,

thank you for your input. Indeed, the pin-out is quite uniqe, I haven't seen this configuration before. I couldn't find thr service manual of the RT-SF1, so I checked a similar model, the RT-SF5. Here a snipped of the power ampliefer section, taken from page 12 (figure 21) can be seen.

RTSF5 - PA snipped.png

Here also some clarification of the wiring of the potentiometer, it seems even the reference designators match between the models.

RT-SF1-Volume-Poti.png

BR

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back