Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc-dc general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

analogLow

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I have a solar cell from which I always want to extract the maximum power, I understand that I need to dynamically adjust the impedance which it sees (e.g. as temperature changes). The load it sees is the regulator.

Lets say I have a simple buck LC converter:
Buck converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I need to adjust the impedance of the dc-dc regulator to be give the MPP. Is the impedance of the dc-dc regulator adjusted by only the duty cycle? Im just trying to get a more intuitive feel for this. Is the impedance big or small for a low duty cycle?:lol::lol:

Thanks,
analogLow

Yes. Impendance is bigger under low duty cycle.

thanks. so a lower duty cycle means that there is less current IL from the input going through the inductor over a given time ... so if you want the same output voltage Vo, then impedance increases since Z=Vout/IL as IL decreases. right?

In CCM, though duty cycle affect the current IL, the influence is still very small.
For ideal CCM, the influence will be zero.
For ideal CCM, D=Vout/VIN.
However, in DCM, duty cycle will influence the IL much.

Status
Not open for further replies.