Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connections in extreme burn-in oven conditions - recommendation for pin jacks or connectors to be use in 200C to 220C burn-in environment?

Cliff Schuring

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Looking for board pins or connectors to be used in a 200C to 220C burn-in oven for IC testing something that will last many time at 1000hr runs, been using Sullin connectors and having issues with signals when I get up to temperature. Ideas?

Used to like Loranger "liquid crystal polymer" sockets for 300C
oven work. You can (or used to) get Textool black DIP sockets
that'll stand up to 250C pretty well. Do not know about bulkhead
fittings etc. 250C is about where the real pain starts, for parts
and wire and connectors.

For real extreme use, making your own fiberglass-jacketed
harness and high temp solder, braze or spot-wels in-oven
connections can get you there. Thermocouple welders may
do for the spot welding.

If you're on LinkedIn there are probably test engineering /
reliability engineering groups which would have people who do
this for a living. Probably some loose ones out there too.

High Temp Electronics Conference is (I think) biannual and
characterization papers (if found) could drop some hardware
hints. You might also find resources at the burnin oven makers,
since customers need to know how not to fail inside.

Thank you, Dick Freebird fantastic help would you happen to know possibly of a 0.1 inch IDC 20 pin connector vendor that might work. Building a system that monitors and controls just about everything on our devices from out side of oven due to failure of parts (fuses, resistors, jumpers) on purchased burn-in boards at the temperatures we are using. Again thank you for the insight into these products

I'm not familiar with the IDC connector. I can suggest
that "standard" connectors may have higher grade
versions for aerospace / industrial applications that
offer higher temp ratings. You might inspect whatever
bulkhead fittings there are, for mfrs and P/Ns to chase.

Putting connectors on the outer skin or even a standoff
plate and running the wires through a tube or labyrinth
could allow use of regular temp-range connectors. This
is what I did with lab Delta ovens to keep from needing
everything "top shelf".

Dick,

I have a question about parts used on high temperature boards. Who's parts do you recommend using for the single metal sockets used for putting in program jumpers? I keep seeing 125C to 150C max temp for these, my guess is that I'm not finding the ones used on burn-in board that are built by burn-in board manufactures. Looking forward to you ideas.

Check out "socket pins" which are the BeCu "guts" of higher-grade IC sockets minus the thermoplastic shell. Our test engineers used these for all the Coto relays on ATE load boards.

They will last way past the rest of the components and the solder.

On that note, move away from 60/40 to a higher MP for more ruggedness at the cost of assembly PITA.

So maybe pins from Millmax ( like ones in attached file, or ?

Attachments

• 0303-0-19-01-16-01-10-0.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 25
That looks like one such, I use ones with a tail to raise relay body from the board plane but flush has its uses. Other variations around the socket hole ID and the spring wipe / contact plating qualities, which might be a care-about in a high use / swap burnin facility.

Dick,

Thank you, I will be installing these on the boards with high temp solder. Been running IDC, and black sockets in oven at 175C and they seem to be fine after 48 hrs, the little two pin units that take Berg pins with crimp on connectors melted (deformed), so again thank you for your insight and experience.

Cliff

Last edited:
Dick,

Any high temperature solder recommendations, above 250C. Having issues with Thermistors becoming unsoldered at 200C in our heat sinks. Using Sn10 Pb88 Ag2. Thank you

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back