Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I get good load transient response from this Boost reg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madid87

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm designing a Li-Ion battery (4.2 - 3V) to 4V output boost regulator. **broken link removed** has an automatic bypass function which will bypass the input when higher or equal to output. The price is also very good at 1000pcs.

I need to power a GPRS modem which draws 2A peak transient current. In the MIC's datasheet there is a load transient graph were it is shown that the voltage will drop by 600mV with 1.2A step! This is totally unacceptable for my application.
My questions:
1) They used only 22uF output capacitor. Is it valid to expect that more output capacitance will drastically improve the transient response? I would put 10uF ceramic + 100uF low ESR aluminum. My concern is that big output capacitor will create a pole at low frequency and slow the regulator even more? Is my reasoning sound? Is it even possible to design a 300mV@2A transient response with this regulator?

2) Besides start-up inrush problem, what can be expected from current mode control SMPS's with high capacitive load? Let's say I put 1000uF aluminum, can this make the loop response very slow that 10uF output cap would provide better transient performance?

3) Any out suggestion for Li-Ion to GPRS voltage (4.4 - 3.4V) with 2A peak current with similar price?

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back