Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boost converter using ir2117 dc-dc

Status
Not open for further replies.
FET in buck converter

It' difficult to judge the meaning of the shown waveform for high voltage operation without knowing the absolute commutated current. Also the actual dId/dt would be an interesting parameter.

Do I assume right, that the waveform has been acquired with the 10n/2R2 snubber in place. In this case, I get an commutating loop inductance of about 50 nH from the estimated resonace frequency. I think that a lower value should be achievable with TO220 transistor/diode and optimal layout.

On the other hand, the absolute voltage overshoot is proportional to circuit inductance and di/dt, not Ub. So it's not said, that it must be too high at nominal operation voltage.

From the -5V undershoot, which is apperently caused by the gate drive, I have some doubts about correct probe connection.

P.S.: Regarding saturation problem, with 0.44A*12 turn you get a H value of 75 A/m for the ungapped core, which means strong saturation. A few 10 µ airgap would avoid saturation, but also reduces the inductance to about 250 µH.

Re: FET in buck converter

Hi guys!
Sorry from the late response. Thanks FvM for you effort. The wafeform above was without a snubber. I just got some nF film capacitors and tried out some snubbers (in parallel with the diode). A 10nF and 2R2 RC almost completley removes the overshoot and the FET does not break down at high voltages. So an RC snubber appears to be a solution to my problem.

I've done some simulations and found that the parasitic inductance is about 15nH (in series with the diode).

The problem with a snubber is, that is dissipates quite a lot of power. With a 4n7 and 2R2 RC, which is still sufficient, I got about 14W of losses on the resistor, which is quite a lot, but still doable. Would like to reduce it though...

Also, I'm not using the above inductor anymore. I've done my homework with magnetics and made a gapped inductor. I found it fascinating that the inductance is only dependant on the number of turns and the size of the air gap. wow

No worries analog_match, I will post the schematics and measurements once I have everything working.

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.