Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest possible SMPS for battery charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pina

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
smallest smps

Hi guys! I would like to make a battery charger for a 240V LiION battery pack that could source 5-6A. The thing is that it has to be as small and as light as possible. So, what kind of a topology would be recomended for this.

I suppose I could just rectify the 220Vac input and send it to a buck converter. Would this be OK? Of course there would be no input/output isolation. Could that be a problem?

Any advice is of course welcome.

smps with battery

Hi

First you should check the specs. on your battery pack.

Lithium batteries have a maximum current they can be charged with...also depending on how the pack is made and if there is a safty circuit, usually there is.

Also when a lithium is fully discharged it is not recommended just to charge with the maximum current the battery can handle.
First charge with a current of C/10, this is a tenth of the total charge of the battery(trickle charge). Then you can usually use a much higher charging current.
What you need is a sort of current generator. As the battery charges the voltage increase to your float voltage. It is VERY important not to go over the recommended voltage of the batteries. Lithium batteries can be very unpleasant otherwise.

Regards

Pina said:
Hi guys! I would like to make a battery charger for a 240V LiION battery pack that could source 5-6A. Any advice is of course welcome.

Are you sure?....you have a 240V LiION battery pack????????:D

Pina said:
Hi guys! I would like to make a battery charger for a 240V LiION battery pack that could source 5-6A. The thing is that it has to be as small and as light as possible. So, what kind of a topology would be recomended for this.

I suppose I could just rectify the 220Vac input and send it to a buck converter. Would this be OK? Of course there would be no input/output isolation. Could that be a problem?

Any advice is of course welcome.

Input/output insolation is must for handling/connecting the charger to batteries. if your battery pack is not 240V.

powerint.com sounds like for you

see there app notes on batt chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.