Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a motor burn if its turned on/off with about 1 hertz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aramisss

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why does a motor burn

does a motor burn if I on/off it with about 1 hertz frequency?
i dont konw the type of motor.

will this motor burn?

The motor will not burn. May be you should provide more info, for example, why do you on/off the motor at 1 Hz ?

will this motor burn?

Hello aramisss,
The motor is running? Or it is at zero speed?
If the motor is running and you try to control speed using your scheme of turning it ON/OFF maybe your motor can tolerate it.
However, remember that the start current of a standard AC motor may be 5 to 10 times the operating current of the motor, so it is a very stressing thermal condition. Sometimes the manufacturer specifies max number of starts (usually in terms of starts/hour) and for *big* motors it may be something like 5 starts/hour.
The exact response depends on the motor type, the starting time, and the inertia and type of mechanical load.
Hope this helps.

Re: will this motor burn?

Is it a DC or AC motor?
Voltage, current?

motor is a digital printer machine motor. the duty of the motor is wrapping the new printed paper to a roll. but it not perform correctly. so i wanna to design a new control circuit for this situation. an infrared receiver and transmitter will sense the paper leaning out and so the roll motor will run. so it wrap up the paper to its roll.

thus this operation required the motor will run and stop approximately every 1 second.

which type motor i have to use.
i dont know the type of original motor on the machine.

someone advise me : "do not use any sensor. a servo motor is enough for you. becuse it will stop When it forced by the paper roll( when it wraps up tightly.)

what do you think about?

thanks...

isnt there any comment

aramisss said:
Someone advise me : "do not use any sensor. a servo motor is enough for you. becuse it will stop when it forced by the paper roll( when it wraps up tightly.) What do you think about?
This idea is possible. But you need to make sure that the current flows through the motor winding when it's stalled (by the force of paper roll) is under the safety level. When the motor is stalled, the current is limited only by the winding resistance so it could be very high.

will this motor burn?

a motor is not so easy to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back