Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why isn't QucsStudio used more often in place of ADS?

30 dBw Basho

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does this boil down to model availablity, or simply the inertia of people knowing ADS and not wanting to switch?

Don't know about particular differences but if one software is available free to college students, they'll tend to stick with it in their careers. If ADS made this possible, it could explain a lot.

Speaking for myself only, I've seen QUCS since the 1990's among other choices available of electronic circuit simulators (even the shareware versions). QUCS seemed neither better nor worse. These days what makes a simulator stand out could be whether it supports numerous IC's in popular use, and is kept up-to-date by its software team. Being in the Spice family seems important as well.

Knowing ADS (self guided or training) and having extensive support for ADS is certainly one reason. You didn't mention tool feature limitations. ADS has more comprehensive modelling capabilities, and a complete and smooth workflow.

I had tried QucsStudio when my ADS license had expired, but was very happy to return to ADS after a few weeks because I found it difficult to get my work done in QucsStudio. I guess many tasks could be completed somehow using QucsStudio, if I would spend more time to become more familiar with the tool, but "time is money" so ADS might be the cheaper solution overall.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: