Why is XPEHEW LED twice the price of MX6AWT LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The only difference that i can find between these White LEDs is the XPEHEW is twice the price of the MX6AWT.
-so why does anyone buy the XPEHEW?

MX6 LED datasheet:
**broken link removed**

Cree XPEHEW datasheet
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Maybe CRI? Also the latter one seems to have additional tests performed for relative chromacity v temperature and current, and
can be driven at higher temp.
The odd colors is the one reason people get annoyed by "upgrades" to LEDs or CFL for home lighting..

SKY 123:
and can be driven at higher temp.

But the MX6 has a Rth(j-sp) of 5C/W wheras the XPEHEW has Rth(j-sp) of 6C/W...

-So howcome the XPEHEW can be driven at higher temperature?

I suppose you'd have to plug in numbers for the particular scenario, to keep within the 'thermal design' charts in their datasheets.
The fact that the vendor is willing to characterise more the second device means that those characterisations and guarantees
may have value for particular customers. Having more value may be one reason the manufacturer may wish to charge more.

Also, sometimes some items are more expensive for non-electronic reasons (e.g. the market may be willing to pay more for the
smaller device, or the other one may be less expensive to manufacture). The "electronic" characteristics of a device only partially
influence the cost of a device or product in many cases.

sky_123,

I think you've found it.........the XPEHEW is smaller.

I suspect this is the main reason its more expensive?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…