Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why doesn't clock transition time affect my timing analysis (PrimeTime)?

EE18

Newbie level 4
Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am simulating the circuit attached with cells from the lsi_10k.lib built-in library (provided with Design Compiler/PrimeTime) and have enforced the constraints below:
#-----------------------------------------------#
# ENFORCE CONSTRAINTS
#-----------------------------------------------#
# Define clock plus its natural latency
create_clock -name CLK -period 10 [get_ports Clock]
set_propagated_clock [get_clocks CLK]
set_clock_uncertainty 1 -hold [get_clocks CLK]
set_clock_uncertainty 1 -setup [get_clocks CLK]
set_clock_latency 1 -source [get_clocks CLK]
set_clock_transition 2 [get_clocks CLK]
set_input_delay -clock CLK 2 [all_inputs]
set_output_delay -clock CLK 2 [all_outputs]
As you can see, I do have a set_clock_transition command. Nevertheless, there is zero dependence on the value I provide there (whether 0 or very large). Why is this? I expect delay through the inverters (at least the first one on the path! In the report below this is the I1/Z (IVA) cell delay of 0.49 time units) to slow down, but this is not observed. The lsi_10k.lib library does seem to have enough information about the relevant cells that a delay calculator should compute different delays in different slew rate situations too, I think?

Setup analysis output:
Report : timing
-path_type full_clock_expanded
-delay_type max
-slack_lesser_than 1000000.00
-max_paths 1
-sort_by slack
Design : MyComp
Version: T-2022.03
Date : Tue Aug 13 21:44:09 2024

Startpoint: F3 (rising edge-triggered flip-flop clocked by CLK)
Endpoint: OUT (output port clocked by CLK)
Path Group: CLK
Path Type: max

Point Incr Path
---------------------------------------------------------------
clock CLK (rise edge) 0.00 0.00
clock source latency 1.00 1.00
Clock (in) 0.00 1.00 r
I1/Z (IVA) 0.49 1.49 f
I4/Z (IV) 0.67 2.15 r
I5/Z (IVP) 0.21 2.36 f
I6/Z (IVA) 0.31 2.68 r
F3/CP (FD1) 0.00 2.68 r
F3/Q (FD1) 1.37 4.05 f
OUT (out) 0.00 4.05 f
data arrival time 4.05

clock CLK (rise edge) 10.00 10.00
clock network delay (propagated) 1.00 11.00
clock reconvergence pessimism 0.00 11.00
clock uncertainty -1.00 10.00
output external delay -2.00 8.00
data required time 8.00
data required time 8.00
data arrival time -4.05
slack (MET) 3.95

Can anyone set me straight on what I'm missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 48
It might be something simple. I would check a few things. First, what is the unit. The liberty file usually specifies a default unit but it might be very small. Perhaps you are doing a rise time in picoseconds. Try, for example, set_units -time ns.

Is this pre or post P&R? Perhaps there is something wrong with the wire-load model being used.
Or maybe it is post P&R and then the clock is set to ideal. An ideal clock arrives at all places instantly. I bet it ignores the rise/fall time with ideal clocks. Maybe you need to do: set_propagated_clock [all_clocks]

And finally I would make sure you are really loading the right file. Sounds like a dumb mistake but it happens. I have spent long time changing one file and wondering why it has no impact and finding out I was loading a different file. Often when you make changes to a file and you see no impact it is a sign you are changing the wrong file. As a sanity I occasionally will add a typo to the file and load it to see if I see the syntax error. A simple way to make sure I am changing the right file.

It might be something simple. I would check a few things. First, what is the unit. The liberty file usually specifies a default unit but it might be very small. Perhaps you are doing a rise time in picoseconds. Try, for example, set_units -time ns.

Is this pre or post P&R? Perhaps there is something wrong with the wire-load model being used.
Or maybe it is post P&R and then the clock is set to ideal. An ideal clock arrives at all places instantly. I bet it ignores the rise/fall time with ideal clocks. Maybe you need to do: set_propagated_clock [all_clocks]

And finally I would make sure you are really loading the right file. Sounds like a dumb mistake but it happens. I have spent long time changing one file and wondering why it has no impact and finding out I was loading a different file. Often when you make changes to a file and you see no impact it is a sign you are changing the wrong file. As a sanity I occasionally will add a typo to the file and load it to see if I see the syntax error. A simple way to make sure I am changing the right file.
Thank you for your comments! I am away for the weekend so can't try this out, but will report back when I do.

Incidentally, do you think it's possibly because I am using set_propagated_delay for the clock (to answer your question this is pre-PnR but I do have buffers on my clock path as you can see, and I have said nothing about wire loads in my constraint file so this is using defaults presumably)? I have a vague recollection that I somewhere read that that can override any other clock settings. Could that be the culprit? I would have thought that set_propagated_clock defined clock behaviour within the circuit, with no problem using set_transition_time to define how the clock (skew) is delivered (from outside) to the design, but perhaps this is not correct.

Actually in PT, if you use "set_propagated_clock [get_clocks CLK]", then "set_clock_transition 2 [get_clocks CLK]" will be ignored . The transition of clock pin will the be the value that is caculated . If you want to check the transition value in pin , you can add "-transition_time" option after report_timing

Actually in PT, if you use "set_propagated_clock [get_clocks CLK]", then "set_clock_transition 2 [get_clocks CLK]" will be ignored . The transition of clock pin will the be the value that is caculated . If you want to check the transition value in pin , you can add "-transition_time" option after report_timing
Thank you! But one further question remains: surely there must be some way to set the clock transition rate which is seen at the external CLK port? That's what I'm trying to do here. I get that set_propagated_clock uses the delay calculated values for the clock once it's in the design, but surely I should be able to apply different slews from the outside to the design as a whole?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back