Which spacing (pitch) smaller than 0.1-inch (2.54mm) has cheapest headers and cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlightenment

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The 0.1-inch (2.54mm) header is very popular, but takes up a lot of PCB space for higher number pin counts, i.e. 2x10 header.

If all 0.1-inch headers and related parts disappeared, then what smaller spacing (pitch) would you choose?

Requirements:
- Smaller spacing (pitch) than 0.1-inch (2.54mm).
- Board-to-board cables must be cheap or reasonable priced.
- PCB male or female header / connectors must be cheap.
- PCB connectors should be available in straight and right-angle. Right-angle useful for connecting 2 PCB immediate next to each other.
- Tin is ok, but MUST be available as gold-plated too.

Links:
- Please provide some links to sources, especially to cheap sources for parts. I don't care where they are manufactured.

NOTE:
- The PCB parts and cable parts all must be reasonable price. Please exclude solutions that have dirt cheap headers but expensive cables.

January 3, 2012 - I'm now giving away points for all new answers, and more points to people that link to a web page where I can purchase cheap pre-assembled cables. By pointing me, I mean point me at the web page that has the cable instead of pointing me at the top home page for a company. I'm also looking for cheap PCB connectors that cables will mate too. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

I believe 2mm pitch connectors are quite common too.

January 3, 2012 - I'm now giving away points for all new answers, and more points to people that link to a web page where I can purchase cheap pre-assembled cables. By pointing me, I mean point me at the web page that has the cable instead of pointing me at the top home page for a company. I'm also looking for cheap PCB connectors that cables will mate too. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Yeah, Samtec rocks and I've known about them since the late 80's, but I was hoping that someone would send me to links to dirt cheap solutions. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…