Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get thoose pot's you can turn and turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanor

Member level 4
Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know where I can't order potentiometers I can turn and turn? You know, thoose that are on many audio amplifiers?
Don't know if theese are pot's but I hope someone understand what I mean.. hehe :p

These may be 5 turn and 10 turn types. If you can do infinite turns it is probably an optical encoder going to an EPOT.

flatulent said:
These may be 5 turn and 10 turn types. If you can do infinite turns it is probably an optical encoder going to an EPOT.

Thank you.

Yes, I meant infinite turns. Do you know where I can get one of those? Or any information on this?

Google for "incremental encoder."

You will find shaft encoders and panel encoders. Shaft encoders are intended for mounting on motor shafts to monitor speed and position. Panel encoders are mounted onto instrument panels for things like volume control, etc. It sounds like you are looking for a panel encoder.

Go to h**tp://www.farnell.com, choose you country and search for multiturn resistor

zanor said:
Yes, I meant infinite turns. Do you know where I can get one of those? Or any information on this?
Panel encoders produce two output clocks that are 90° out of phase with each other (i.e., quadrature encoded). As you described, you can turn them infinitely in either direction and, as you do so, they will output clock pulses.

The direction of turning can be detected by means of the phase relationship between the two clocks, and the "distance" through which you have turned is determined by the number of clock pulses that occur for each direction.

You can interface a panel encoder to a µcontroller or to a hardwired quadrature decoder. In either case, what you end up with is a counter that indicates the effective position of the encoder shaft. When you power down the instrument that employs this encoder, you can save the counts to non-volatile memory. When you power up the instrument, you can restore the counter to its last value from the memory.

How to control something with the counts? Typically the counts value is written to an analog-to-digital converter of some sort, if you are controlling some analog circuitry. For example you could control volume by writing counts to a dac that controls a programmable gain amplifier. There is no requirement, though, that you are controlling an analog process; the counts could be kept in the digital domain as well, depending on the application.

zanor said:
flatulent said:

Thank you.

As it has been said you need to use an encoder. The easiest plcae to look for such an encoder would be a PC mouse ! you could interface the mouse's output easily or if you didn't liked it you could pick up the shaft encoder and interface the diodes to your circuit/MCU/etc .

Farshid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back