Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] What is the accepted power of a two port antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujuChenYi

Newbie level 4
Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When both conductor and dielectric are lossless, Pacc=Pin*(1-S11^2),just like (2) in HFSS help script,but when both conductor and dielectric are lossy, Pacc is slightly smaller than Pin*(1-S11^2),why?
1728613974879.png

--- Updated ---

Has anyone studied radiation efficiency in HFSS before? please :)

Seems like you are comparing radiated (1) and accepted (1) power of an antenna. Obviously they differ by antenna losses, it's not generally correct to designate (1) P,accepted.

Seems like you are comparing radiated (1) and accepted (1) power of an antenna. Obviously they differ by antenna losses, it's not generally correct to designate (1) P,accepted.
Hi FvM ,thank you for your reply! What I mean is, when simulating a two port antenna, the Pacc calculated by HFSS is smaller than what I calculated using formula (2) myself (a=1, since Pin=1). I wonder why.

HFSS script says when port is lossy ,the incident power may not be 1W, What does lossy port means?
1728645370494.png

I think the correct answer is P(accepted)=P(input)*(1-S11^2), right? But in HFSS, P(accepted)=P(input)*(1-S11^2-S21^2), I wonder why

But in HFSS, P(accepted)=P(input)*(1-S11^2-S21^2), I wonder why

This is the generic equation to calculate the power "loss" of a 2 port component.
Pin * |S11|^2 is the power reflected at port 1
Pin * |S21|^2 is the power leaving the model at port 2
The remaining power "disappears" in the 2-port itself. In this case, this is the accepted input power of the antenna.

This is the generic equation to calculate the power "loss" of a 2 port component.
Pin * |S11|^2 is the power reflected at port 1
Pin * |S21|^2 is the power leaving the model at port 2
The remaining power "disappears" in the 2-port itself. In this case, this is the accepted input power of the antenna.
Thanks! understood. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back