Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is SOCKS proxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk2mkk

Member level 2
Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
guys any one tell me the exact essence of SOCKS proxy...
after Googling i got little bit confused .....

i would also want to know who will implement this socks proxy ....?
actually my college proxy server wont supports socks proxy ...in this case what is the solution for me ...
some applications like mail clients such as Outlook Express and Thunderbird require socks proxy.

so how can i get these work...

thanks in advance

proxy

kk2mkk said:
guys any one tell me the exact essence of SOCKS proxy...
after Googling i got little bit confused .....

i would also want to know who will implement this socks proxy ....?
actually my college proxy server wont supports socks proxy ...in this case what is the solution for me ...
some applications like mail clients such as Outlook Express and Thunderbird require socks proxy.

so how can i get these work...

thanks in advance

SOCKS = Internet protocol to allow client-server applications to transparently use the services of a network firewall.

SOCKS = "SOCKetS"

what is SOCKS ....?

Still no idea what it mean...

PS: Hi, newbie here

Re: what is SOCKS ....?

A protocol for handling TCP traffic through a proxy server. It can be used with virtually any TCP application, including Web browsers and FTP clients. It provides a simple firewall because it checks incoming and outgoing packets and hides the IP addresses of client applications.
There are two main versions of SOCKS -- V4 and V5. V5 adds an authentication mechanism for additional security. There are many freeware implementations of both versions. One of the most common V5 implementations is SOCKS5, developed by NEC.
Google NEC and Socks...you'll find loads of sites to help you.
Best of luck:D

what is SOCKS ....?

socks have to part a IP and a PORT .the IP is so famus but the port is the gate that assign a packet to a aplication on the destination of a packet .
for exapmle suppose that several IE run at a computer and request too several servers. when a packet recived on this PC data of each packet go to the IE taht belongs to that by the port of the socket

Re: what is SOCKS ....?

Can anyone tell me about, writing sockets in PERL????
Thanks
Regards..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back