Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does speed grade mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakesh_aadhimoolam

Full Member level 4
Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what exactly we mean by speed grade....

while running LEO_SPEC we were able to set speed grade but what does -ve sign as well +ve sign indicate.....

thank you

Re: SPEED GRADE

The lower the -X the faster the FPGA. The speed is specified in terms of the tpd (pin-to-pin delay) parameter in the FPGA datasheet. This affects the maximum operating frequency of your design in that particular FPGA.

SPEED GRADE

For cpld, the lower the faster. It represent the delay of pin-to-pin.
For Xilinx fpga, the bigger the faster.
It does not represent the delay of pin-to-pin.

well i guess there is a mess up in that cause of the negative sign...

for CPLD, if the number itself(without the sign) is lower then the device is faster
so a -2 device is faster than a -3 device

for FPGAs, if the number itself (without the sign) is lower then the device is slower
so a -5 device is faster than a -4 device

sorry for the messup i may have caused
thanks
Salma:D

The sign is actually punctuation called a "hyphen", which some of us also call a "dash". On the Xilinx FPGA, the speed grade is printed on the chip on a separate line, without the hyphen.

SPEED GRADE

According to my experience description of speed grade vary with company of FPGA producer.Altera is quite different from Xilinx.
more smaller more faster( device 4 is faster than 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back