what do i need to make a motor timer/controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samo

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

im not sure if ive posted this in the right section so just say and i´ll move it.

i need to make a circuit that has 7 or 8 outputs and each output must be 12v dc and each output must stay on for 2 to 3 seconds to drive a 12v dc motor and then the next output must do the same until all outputs have been on.

the cheapest and easiest for someone with not much electronics knowledge would be best.

guessing i need some completed circuit boards like these? -

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

please help if you can.

sam

USB 8 Channel Relay Board - Automation, Robotics - 12V | eBay
will be the easier way for you to control the motors , as it provides software and all nessecary hardware , u have to give command in the software and can control the motors easily.
Another method is use a parallel port alternative and u can get various programs on net to control the board in parallel port way , search parallel port optoisolated board and u can get the examples also , in this method , u can modify easily if the example provided fails.

---------- Post added at 04:18 ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 ----------

8 Relay Board for your PIC, AVR Project - 12V ,
will be safer , if u learn a bit of microcontroller , it will be easy to control , cheaper since any mistake in the USB model can damage the USB port of your PC , but the later one will cost only a PIC

Decide from these

Reactions: samo

samo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks for reply.

so the only things i need is all in either of those boards?

so with the first one for example i load up the software and i can program the board so it does as i require then unplug and it will run independently or does it need to be plugged in at all times with a computer?

and with the second option i would also need to purchase a microcontroller to control the working of the relays?

First one u have to plugged in, to be able to control , cant unplug and control
second one u have to buy the following things
1. A burner for hex files for microcontroller.
2. A platform to populate the electronics ( a breadboard or a premade dev board).
3. The microcontroller itself.
search each of them in google and post reply

samo

the first one seems to be something like this though im not sure it will work on mac-

**broken link removed**

the second thing-

**broken link removed**

and the third i guess your referring to the chip?

**broken link removed**

i guess i would also need the 8 relay board to cope with the 12v sent to the motors?

thanks again

I just wanted to propose that. NE555 + TTL/CMOS modulo counter/decade counter does it all.

If you want to try something new, then you could try accomplishing it within a CPLD (simple one, like XC9500).

samo

if i could avoid programing it would be the best so if it was possible to buy this 8 relay sequencer that would be ideal.

**broken link removed**

this one i posted a link to is nice but maybe a little over the top with the LEDS and size and price but it does seem to be a stand alone type product so incorporating a timer and the relays coping with the 12v dc output. so a simpler version would be great if anyone can help.

thanks again for replies

though your diagram looked more simple and compact. where would i get one like in your diagram?

This connection came from my head,
but you can ask , if anyone has time and inspiration
to draw a full schematic with component values and desing the printed circuit board

This connection came from my head,
but you can ask , if anyone has time and inspiration
to draw a full schematic with component values and desing the printed circuit board

what would be cool is to have the wiring diagram of this module-

**broken link removed**

with a time/delay Frequency adjustment for each relay so that would be great if someone knows to draw that out?

maybe this is a stupid question but is it possible to use this circuit board and swap out the LEDS with relays as it seems there is also a timer adjustment on this module?

**broken link removed**

It could work if not for one thing: reverse voltage from coil. As the leds are driven by transistors it seems that some relatively small relay could work, but you would need to add reverse diodes across relay coils to avoid damage to the rest of the circuit when coil is switched off. And you may need to adjust component values around 555 timer to get proper switching interval.

BTW. I think that the amounts of money they want for such simple sircuits as the led chaser or relay board which u have linked to is outrageous. U can built those circuits for FAR less money.

samo

yes its true that it costs alot but i dont understand very much with electronics so if i was to build something i would need a parts list and a drawing of how to wire it.

i found this drawing of a LED sequence that been converted to run relays but the problem is that its lacking a timer adjuster in the circuit for adjusting the time spent on each relay, plus the resistor is for 9v not 12v i think.

so if anyone could adjust this diagram to suit my needs that would be great.

thank again

... so if anyone could adjust this diagram to suit my needs that would be great.

Simply use a +12V power supply instead of the +9V, any 555 timer chip, a CD4017B(C) -- not an HC or HCT type! Instead of the 22kΩ resistor use a 100kΩ (multi turn) trimmer poti and a 10kΩ resistor in series (so you can't trim below 10kΩ), and, possibly, replace the 10µF elCo by a 22 or 33µF one to achieve your required 2 to 3 seconds time interval. And replace the 360Ω resistor (pin 4) by 470Ω or 560Ω.

samo

that was very helpful thanks eriki.
ive adjusted the diagram using paintbrush if you couldnt guess :smile: to have the components you mentioned though the wiring im unsure about.
please feel free to edit the diagram to make it more correct or even simpler.
thanks again.

i have been given some advice with swapping out the relays with IRF540A mosfets so ive edited one of the relays out and put in possible wiring and also i had the swap the + and - around.
please tell me if its wired correct and if you can see any problems with it-

dont think i need to power the mosfets as i think they can be powered from the board but how?

Applicability of MOSFETs depends on the type of voltage that you intend to drive the load with. If it's DC then MOSFET's are fine, you just have to watch out for their voltage, current and power dissipation ratings as well as Rds(on). If the load is driven with AC signal, then relays are better. There are SSR's which can work with AC load, but they are more expensive than an electromechanical relay of comparable capabilities.

it all needs to be 12v dc.
did the wiring look correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…