Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what are reset able fuses in electronics boards

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have searched "reset able smd fuses". How do we reset them ? They just look like a smd component. Do we need to reset them manually ? There should be a slide switch but there is noting which I can see on them. Do they automatically reset after the fuse has burned due to large amount of current ?

I just found this statement "Resettable surface fuses are a reusable type of circuit protection device that is utilised in a wide range of applications. Resettable fuses trip when the current gets too high but will function again when conditions return to an acceptable level."

Look like they reset automatically and work again as normal when the current is back within the limits.

What are these fuses composed off ? Are they made up of semi conductor material ? Is there any semiconductor inside ?

There are so many sources of informations:

.. reading a datasheet
.. or visit a manufacturer´s internet site
.. or ask chatGPT
.. or do a simple internet search on your own

Why is it that you don´t use these options?

Klaus

There are so many sources of informations:

.. reading a datasheet
.. or visit a manufacturer´s internet site
.. or ask chatGPT
.. or do a simple internet search on your own

Why is it that you don´t use these options?

Klaus
The importance of education is learning how to learn (Autodidactic) basic things on one’s own. Then completing a major project successfully that you can call your own. These are important skills.

Years ago from a CRT tv I scavenged a cheap resettable circuit breaker. The red button stuck out from the back of the housing. As for surface-mount, perhaps modern technology miniaturized the innards of a circuit breaker and called it a fuse. A burned substance can't un-burn itself.

I have read the article about reset able fuses. It describe reset able fuses in general, their purpose, function, application areas, advantages and disadvantages etc.

It also points to different types of reset able fuses, Ceramic PTC, Polymeric PTC, Radial Leaded PTC, and OXCG Series Surface-mount PPTC.

Which type is more reliable is not mentioned. Also what they are made up of ? Is there any semi-conductor material in their composition ?

I have searched "reset able smd fuses". How do we reset them ? They just look like a smd component. Do we need to reset them manually ? There should be a slide switch but there is noting which I can see on them. Do they automatically reset after the fuse has burned due to large amount of current ?

I just found this statement "Resettable surface fuses are a reusable type of circuit protection device that is utilised in a wide range of applications. Resettable fuses trip when the current gets too high but will function again when conditions return to an acceptable level."

Look like they reset automatically and work again as normal when the current is back within the limits.

What are these fuses composed off ? Are they made up of semi conductor material ? Is there any semiconductor inside ?
Hi sir,
Resettable surface fuses can quickly respond to overcurrent conditions, tripping fast to protect the circuit. As for its self recovery, after the fault condition is cleared, the fuse can reset itself, returning to its low-resistance state and allowing the circuit to resume normal operation.

I suggest you read the following materials:
A Comprehensive Guide to Resettable Fuses

Hi,
Resettable surface fuses can quickly respond to overcurrent conditions, tripping fast to protect the circuit.

I suggest you read the following materials:
Did you read it?

it says:

What are the disadvantages of resettable fuses?

1. ...
  2. PPTC fuses have a slower response time compared to traditional fuses, which can delay the protection of the circuit and potentially cause damage.
Isn´t this quite the opposite of your statement above?

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: