Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weird trimmer related phenomena when tuning my YIG

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,I have a very weird phenomena my YIG has a tune input.
When I used LD1084 regulator and one of the resistors was a trimmer even thow i put 10uF capacitors on the output and input .
When i try to tune my voltage going into the YIG the YIG starting to jumps 300MHZ 500MHZ back and forth.
So i suspect the TUNE voltage have jumps of 1V at least.
I suspect that when I changed the trimmer value it created this behavior.
A basic voltage divider get my YIG better stability then this thing.
1.Am i correct in my assumption?
2. Why the trimmer could create such a thing?
3.what could be manual tuning alternative for changing of resistor?
1723533711569.png

1723534293975.png

1723525671098.png

Last edited:
Trimpot may be more inductive than you think especially if wirewound. Even cermet body has a couple cm of overall loop length, what does adding (say) 10nH to each leg show?

Does the character of the instability suggest small signal (sine wave) or large signal (bang-bang or sawtooth)?

Is it an open loop setup (only YIG oscillator + variable supply) or are other tuning circuits involved? Do you have sufficient attenuation between oscillator and analyzer?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: