Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

video signal transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWhoF

Advanced Member level 1
Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
/20di_01.htm

I would like to connect a door-cam but there is no proper cable available.
Can I use normal electrical cable or telephone CAT-5?

Transmitting video signal, if you don't have a 75Ω coax, can be tricky.

So in your case, I assume that the distance is not longer than 10-20m, you can try to connect video signal using standard electrical wires, but, because the cables are unshielded, you should connect a Transient Voltage Suppressor rated for very small voltages (+/-5V) or connect 2-3 signal diodes, such as 1N4148 (or similar), in on direction and 2-3 in the other direction, and this should protect the cables against external interferences.

Better option is to use shielded twisted pairs in balanced or even unbalanced configuration. So if you have a cable like mentioned CAT-5, this will be the preferred option.

The first sign that something is wrong will be the Black&White image. This means that your line can not transmit a colour signal due to frequency loses in the higher part of the video band, but if you haven't experienced anything like this, I will not elablorate on this in advance ..

Good luck and regards ..
IanP

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
MAX4144 and MAX4147

Varuzhan

I have 1 twisted pair and I need to transmit video from camera, power to camera and would be good to have something to unlock the door or turn on the light.
Thanks.

Very interesting solutions.
Thanks very much.
But, how to combine both into one, ie first application uses coax and transmits power and video, second has a twisted pair and transmits only video.
What I am after is a twisted pair and video and power.

I think the easiest way to go is to shift the baseband video from 0-6MHz (PAL) to 7-12MHz by FM-modulating the video signal, use dc as supply and implement PPM (pulse position modulation) to control some devices.
In other words, you will be sending dc + pulses down-the-line and FM-modulated video up-the-line ..
And standard twisted pair should be sufficient media to carry these signals through ..
rgs
IanP

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
At this stage video and power will be enough.
Can you upload circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back