URGENT:Where can I find the ionization potentials of various non toxic gases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anushaas

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know the ionization potentials of various non toxic gases.Can anyone help me?

I could not find the data
You're possibly not aware of the technical terms? You didn't ask for specific substances, but i think the Nist webbook has it for most components in the tab Gas phase ion energetics data. Apart from the problem of finding the data, what do you expect from it? As far as I understood are you trying to implement ionization by an electrical field. I don't think, that the ionization potential directly shows in this situation. It applies to phenomena with direct energy transfer to the molecule, e.g. electron impact or photon absorption.

The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics has this data. I have the 81st edition, which also contains references to other sources of this data.

IONIZATION POTENTIALS FOR COMMON INDUSTRIAL GASES
**broken link removed**

Ionization Potentials (IPs) of Common Chemicals
Gas and Vapor Compound Ionization Potentials (IP) and Formulas

Ionization Potentials and Ionization Limits Derived from the Analyses of Optical Spectra
**broken link removed**

First Ionization Potential Table
**broken link removed**

As a brief comment, the periodic table of elements listing is meaningsless for the said problem except for helium. Atmospheric gases are molecules and have quite different ionization potentials, e.g. N2 15.6 eV. That's why a photoionization detector is able to detect organic compounds.

The two first links are nice compilations (save you from picking the info at NIST webbook). I would prefer to hear what the original poster is exactly looking for.

Last edited:

Non toxic gases - Maybe nitrogen as we are used with air, but too much is not healthy either.
Non toxic gases + ionization - Sounds unhealthy for any gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.