Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding power specification of this product

FreshmanNewbie

Advanced Member level 1
Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this Dock with me (https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop/dell-dock-wd19s-180w/apd/210-azcs/docks).

My question:

1. I want to understand what does the 180W power mean. Does it mean that the dock can give 180W power to the other ports? Or does the Dock require 180W input power for its operation? Or does this 180W will be given to USB Type-C port to support USB Power Delivery to those ports?

2. Just to understand about which USB Type-C port supports fast charging, I was experimenting
a. If I connect, with the host module usb type-c, my mobile is fast charging. And if I connect to the USB Type-C Multifunction DisplayPort , it is also fast charging.
b. But if I connect my mobile to the USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port, the mobile does not fast charging.

Can someone tell why the two USB Type-C ports supports fast charging and the other usb type-c port doesn't support fast charging?

I found videos on Youtube, exploring the differences between USB variations (Lightning or type 3 or type C, who can keep track of them all?)...
including what certain USB cables can deliver in the way of charging a phone, versus transferring data. A $10 charging cable may be unable to do everything a $130 cable does, and a Mythbusters episode tells more and why.

I understand there's a USB protocol called enumeration, which requires a peripheral to negotiate before it's allowed to draw high Amperage. Maximum available Amps has gone up with each revision of USB. It requires thicker wires to carry such beefy ratings. Can we be sure what rating and how many a dock can serve, and does it put up an alert saying "Ampere draw is too high"?

Can someone tell why the two USB Type-C ports supports fast charging and the other usb type-c port doesn't support fast charging?
Although std. type USB-C allows various voltages, currents and power levels, Dell has a proprietary current boost protocol. Non-Dell systems are limited to 90W loads.

"Within Dell Power Manager software, selecting ExpressCharge™ can recharge system battery from 0% up to 80% within 60 minutes. After charging has reached 80% capacity, charging speed will return to normal speed. Recommended for use with the provided Dell power adapter; not recommended with a smaller capacity power adapter. Charging time may vary +/-10% due to system tolerance."

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back