Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistors and parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

izua

Member level 3
Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to drive a few 8-seg displays, from my computer. i know it's evil to do it directly from the parallel port, since i can burn it up.

so, i was thinking of making each segment driveable by a transistor. i don't know what values i should put, for limiting the current through the base, and through the collector-emitter junction.

i'll need 8 transistors to control each segment, and another 4 to give each 8-seg display a ground. by switching which 8-seg is currently grounded quickly enough, i will achieve the effect of making all 4 of the 8-seg displays seem on.

but where do i need to limit the current through these resistors, to protect the parallel port? (the display is already made, each segment trace has a 2k resistor, just to be safe).

also, can this be done this way?
someone told me it can't, since i'll need a definite 1 and 0, (like adding a circuit), otherwise the transistors will be "in air" when not on. but i guess beeing "in air" is not grounding or connecting to v+.

thanks for ideas, suggestions.
izua

i was thinking of making each segment driveable by a transistor.
Use ULN2803, you can drive until 300 mA each segment without any problem. Less component, more realible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back