Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer_less Led-AcidBattery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg300

Member level 3
Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone;
I have a 12V and 180Amp Led-Acid Battery. Anyone have any idea to charge this Battery without using Transformer based charger?.
I have a small chargeable light, in this light a Capacitor based charger (only a 100pf-220V Cap and a Bridge Rectifier) used to charge the small 9V battery. Is this process use to charge the Led-acid 180Amp Bat? If it is, so what is the value of Capacitor? or any other procedure

No there is no such possibility.

capacitor type can deliver only very low current.

You must use either a transformer or smps (better option0

Regards
Nandhu

WARNING: dont try to charge with live line, the battery will explode.

>> I have a small chargeable light, in this light a Capacitor based charger (only a 100pf-220V Cap and a Bridge Rectifier) used to charge the small 9V battery. Is this process use to charge the Led-acid 180Amp Bat? If it is, so what is the value of Capacitor? or any other procedure

its ok for 9volt low current battery coz it cansume low current to charge on the other hand 12volt batterys cansume very much higher curent and charging 12 volt battery in such a way could be dangerous....you can use smps power supplys for this purpose. by the way 12 volt batterys complete charge at 13.8 volt ..... so u have to design 13.8 volt charger not 12volt.
and feel free to ask if you have any qurey about this.
tc

The circuit won't have any DC output current unless you add another diode!

120Amp BAT in 5 hour through this circuit ..... wow :D

Actually it would take about a week to charge the battery completely, but most likely it wasn't empty before. Basically I would never use a similar circuit for a battery with accessable contacts for security reasons.

kg300 said:
Thanks for replay,
I solved the problem. I have got an idea from an expert and this is worked fine for me. The capacitor based charging is possible for high current BAT. The circuit diagram below I used and this method charge the 120Amp BAT approximately in 5 Hr.

I must say what I think about this design..

It's very easy to make it but I have doubt about fast charging possibilities ..

R=10Ohm and 20W can survive for long time only 1.41Amps and it's enough only for baby car battery :)

Bye!

confused... i thik it is not possible when the batt is exhusted...

Is the 120/180 Amp specification the surge current or is it the Amp-Hr value?

The reason why the given circuit worked might be that the supply voltage where it was used may be 230V ac. So the peak voltage is above 300V. This might have damaged the capacitor.

Well, will an electrolytic capacitor damaged by High voltage/ polarity reversal become a short circuit or open circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back