Trophy points
Activity points
esd standard

Someone plz provide me ESD testing standard 61000-4-2 or link to it
i need it urgentl
thanks in advance

en 61000-4-2

Hi Waseem,
Out of curiosity and for clarification, do you mean the "IEC" 61000-4-2.
It is a system level electrostatic discharge test for EMC compliance issues, tested using a zap gun, but was never meant for "ESD" testing.

If you want to buy it, the IEC spec, you can find it here:
https://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=885670

Sorry I can't post it for free right now.

However, I did want to ask, because you called it the ESD 61000 if you are attempting to actually do ESD testing on a component for HBM or so forth. If you are I would strongly recommend against it.

A lot of confusion and problems occur when people attempt to do "ESD" testing using this standard or the zap gun.

You can read here:
**broken link removed**

and here:
https://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1226827296

for details and discussion resolving this problem.

Good luck finding a free copy.

waseem44

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
iec esd standard

Thanks Dear

I will need some more explaination. I have read ur links and they helped.
I want some more detail
what i understand is , system level testing is for the whole system like mobile and for each componet following iec 61000-4-2 will result in component failure as the levels are high. am i right?

What should we do for componenet testing as i have NSG 438 from TESEQ
Like i want to tst PCBs. is there no standard available yet.

and one more question?
Can i use ESD gun to check if the ground (like ground of an enclosure) is proper by using Contact discharge tip?

thanks for help

en 61000 standards

Hi Waseem,
yes, system level testing is for a completed system, and is too extreme as well as uncontrolled for components.

The exceptionally high levels are usually mitigated for an individual component, in a system, because once placed on a PCB, other components and parasitics help protect the part. testing a single component IC against IEC 61000-4-2 is very harsh, meaningless and impractical, so thats why I recommend against it.

Even for pins that will be fully exposed to the system, say a USB or ethernet interface, are not good candidates for component testing using IEC 61000 because even those parts will behave differently once their powers and grounds are hooked up to a PCB.

Again, I can not emphasize this enough, there is very little value in testing individual IC components with a discharge gun. The test is meaningless, matches no standards and does not tell you much about how the part will behave in a system.

For component testing, the best case is to stick with known ESD standards such as JEDEC HBM or CDM. If you have a pin that needs exceptionally high robustness, say for an undefined standard such as "CDE" or "Cable Event Discharge", the best technique is to apply TLP (Transmission Line Pulsing) to that part, which will extract and I-V curve for individual pins, and can apply pulses in the 10's of Amps if needed. The TLP IV curves can give you great knowledge into what type sof events an individual part or pin can withstand.

As for PCB or other system test such as charge Board model, yeah...no really good well accepted standards currently exist.

Finally, checking the grounding of an enclosure, or similar conductance and immunity tests is actually the best use for an ESD gun, and is what they have been designed and used for the past several decades. This is standard practice for system certifications such as CE mark or UL certification.

I hope this helps.

61000-4-2

Hi,

I would like to get the IEC 61000-4-2 Standard, anyone?

Yel

iec 61000 4 2 esd

Hi guys

I got the copy of 61000-4-2. and and anyone need it can pm me, and i dont know will it be the violation of any rules of EDABOARD if i post it here.

iec 61000-4-2 free

I design to comply to IEC 61000-4-2 all the time. It is ment to test the final product that gets into a users hands fully assembled. It's a pretty tough spec but not unrealistic since the worst case electrostatic discharge can be as much as 30KV.

iec 61000-4-2

can anyone provide my with some papers describing 61000-4-2 for ite?
thx

ESD Standard 61000-4-2

I am interested in the esd, rf immunity and rf emisson tests. Any good sites for this? I am trying to perform some precompliance tests at a university lab.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…