Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching from voltage source to high impedance port in VerilogA: Convergence problem

yayw35

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to write a VerilogA testbench, I need a port that can act as both a voltage source, and as a high impedance.
As far as I know, there are two ways to implement a high impedance, either by assigning a 0 (or very close to 0) current to the port, or using a very high resistor value. (ex: V(port,n)<+I(port,n)*R_big ).

Given that there is no way (as far as I know) to use a transition while switching between current and voltage source, I went for the second way.
The problem is that when switching from a current source to high impedance, I have convergence issues. My code looks something like this:

Code Verilog - [expand]
if(write=0) begin
      temp=I(port,n)*R_big;
end
else begin
      temp=A_Value;
end
V(port,n)<+transition(temp,0,1n);

For more context, my ultimate goal is to be able to both charge a capacitor and sense it's voltage, through a transmission gate.
Trying the same approach with different simpler circuits, and it doesn't seem to give a problem.
I tried adding resistors to help in converging, doesn't seem to help much.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

[MODERATOR ACTION]
  • Added SYNTAX tags enclosing the code

Last edited by a moderator:
Effectively switching topology might muss up its mind some.
Perhaps formulating it as a vccs cum switch as a time varying
resistance (any -real- source of voltage has a series R, albeit
as low as necessary) could be a smoother approach. Numerical
solvers like smooth and hate discontinuous derivatives.

I think your voltage sense wants to go around, not through,
the tgate if you are about the source position. Inboard, if you
are about the hold-value or its drift / droop while holding.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back