Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Substrate connection error

Sameerpy

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got these error(mention below) while running DRC using divaRule of gpdk180nm. Here is attached Screenshots of layout and schematic. Devices are generated from source.

2 PSUB SUBVIA : Causes Multiple Stamped Connections.
1 PSUB SUBVIA : Has Multiple Stamped Connections.
3 Total errors found

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-22-52.png
    Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-22-52.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-49-23.png
    Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-49-23.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-49-45.png
    Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-49-45.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-50-33.png
    Screenshot from 2024-09-25 18-50-33.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
Hi @Sameerpy
You are having a set of mistakes in layout, I have marked them on the screenshot attached.
1. M7a & M1a bulk should be connected to net N1 -> in your layout connected to vdd (all PMOS are in the same NWELL with same potential);
2. M7b & M1b bulk should be connected to net N1 -> in your layout connected to vdd ;
3. M5a bulk should be connected to net N3 -> in your layout connected to vss (all NMOS are in the same PSUB with same potential);
4. M5b bulk should be connected to net N4 -> in your layout connected to vss;
5. M4a bulk should be connected to net N5 -> in your layout connected to vdd;
6. M4b bulk should be connected to net N6 -> in your layout connected to vdd;

Please also note that your NMOS transistors M5a and M5b should be Deep NWELL devices, otherwise you cannot connect your substrate anywhere apart from vss (because it is sitting in the PSUB).
Since your circuit is quite simple, I can recommend modifying the schematic to get rid of unnecessary bulk connections so that all your PMOS bulks are VDD and all NMOS are VSS. In this case you wouldn't need to change anything in your layout and it should be fine.
If you would choose to change bulk connections as suggested, don't forget to re-simulate your circuit to make sure that the performance didn't change, or modify the circuit accordingly if it changed.

Hopefully, that helps.

Attachments

• Layout_errors.png
    Layout_errors.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi @Sameerpy
You are having a set of mistakes in layout, I have marked them on the screenshot attached.
1. M7a & M1a bulk should be connected to net N1 -> in your layout connected to vdd (all PMOS are in the same NWELL with same potential);
2. M7b & M1b bulk should be connected to net N1 -> in your layout connected to vdd ;
3. M5a bulk should be connected to net N3 -> in your layout connected to vss (all NMOS are in the same PSUB with same potential);
4. M5b bulk should be connected to net N4 -> in your layout connected to vss;
5. M4a bulk should be connected to net N5 -> in your layout connected to vdd;
6. M4b bulk should be connected to net N6 -> in your layout connected to vdd;

Please also note that your NMOS transistors M5a and M5b should be Deep NWELL devices, otherwise you cannot connect your substrate anywhere apart from vss (because it is sitting in the PSUB).
Since your circuit is quite simple, I can recommend modifying the schematic to get rid of unnecessary bulk connections so that all your PMOS bulks are VDD and all NMOS are VSS. In this case you wouldn't need to change anything in your layout and it should be fine.
If you would choose to change bulk connections as suggested, don't forget to re-simulate your circuit to make sure that the performance didn't change, or modify the circuit accordingly if it changed.

Hopefully, that helps.
Hi @sidun.av
1. Actually in my layout I only make common nwell for M8a, M6a, M6b, M8a, M3a, M3b and make a nwell connection with VDD so body and source connected to VDD.
2. And for rest of PMOS I didn't make any common nwell and they are seperated from above mention PMOS.
3. M7b & M1b bulk are connected to net N1 (net 51) not VDD as you mention.
4. M5a bulk are connected to net N3 (net 52) not VSS as you mention.
Similarly other connections are also made such that their body and source connected together and both get connected to relevant net.

here are some screenshot

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image (2).png
    image (2).png
    140 KB · Views: 7
Actually in my layout I only make common nwell for M8a, M6a, M6b, M8a, M3a, M3b
My bad, it seems like I didn't look carefully at your layout. In any case, M5a and M5b NMOS devices are not Deep NWELL, so their bulk is not insulated from the common substrate, hence you cannot connect it to any other potential rather than VSS.
There are two possible solutions:
1. Replace M5a and M5b with Deep NWELL transistors;
2. Connect bulks of M5a and M5b to VSS.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: