Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor zero or home positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello frnds....

i am using this stepper motor 1.8 deg 3.25 amp . i am driving it using microcontroller .i need a system or mechanism to bring back the motor at starting zero condition in case of power failure .

Please suggest which mechanism will yield best result(100%).

i need the stepper motor to be made to move to starting zero positioning as reference starting point for all further movements.

Jitender singh

First of all, your stepper motor has 200 zero/home positions (every full step is a stable zero/home).

Give more details on your intended use (what kind of mechanics, does motor during its working envelope turns more than one full circle, etc.)

Many devices use combined hardware and software approach ..
By software approach I mean counting steps and saving the current position in a non-volatile memory (SRAM or EEprom) ..
By hardware approach I mean a sensor (e.g. small magnet attached to the shaft and hall sensor) or a micro switch ..

It may work like this: in the normal operation the microcontroller uses step count but if the shaft passes through sensor or micro switch the microcontroller confirms the count ..
It works fine and this method is used in, for example, rotating sonar heads ..

Additional hints you can find here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/micro-controllers/32610-setting-stepper-motor-home-position.html

:D

Hi

You will need to use an optocupler & an IR LED (search QRD1313 from fiarchiled)
put a hole in the motor sheft and move the motor until you read "1" from the optotransistor - this is your new home poision

All the best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back