Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS Inductor values

Verne

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all. What brings me to this first post (thanks for letting me join) is I'm repairing a guitar am with a SMPS; I'm needing a bit of help with the inductor.

This snippet from the schematic is for the 6.3v section coming off the transformer, through this circuit then to the main board to power the heaters for the tubes. Aside from the tubes not lighting up there is noticeable burning at the connector for this section, and the PCB under the components in the green box (invertor is in the red box), indicating a voltage jump much higher than the 6.3 volts that should be going through it. Circuits on the main board being fed by other 2 connectors (for other voltages) off this SMPS board indicate they are working.

V33-SMPS-6-5V-iso.jpg

After going over everything with a meter I'm pretty sure the inductor is gone. My problem is that 2UH drum-type pcb-mount inductors don't appear to be common and/or available. That leaves me with a few questions like:

- can I modify a SM inductor to work?
- is there a way to modify the values of the other components so I can use a more available 2.2 UH or other inductor?

At this point I don't know much about the inductor other than what is on this diagram, nor do I know the current coming out of the transformer into it. I understand inductors and capacitors do similar things, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to balance a new capacitor against a different inductor value.

I can post the entire power supply section if necessary.

Thanks.

The image looks like a basic half-wave power supply. All the capacitors perform a filtering task. I suppose it provides 6V 1/2A for one or two tube heaters?

The inductor does a slightly different filtering task. Its value isn't critical. You could even wind your own replacement.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: