Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SiC MOSFET gate driver design and functionality

mike buba

Member level 2
Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a general (basic) question about the gate drivers. I am looking into using SiC MOSFETs for my project, and I understand I need to use gate drivers to convert the PWM signal (0-3Vdc) to the high-current drive input (e.g., 0-12Vdc).

I came across this gate driver, CRD-001 Wolfspeed (datasheet), with the schematics shown below. The price is >$50. Even if I calculate the BoM price and try to do it myself, the price comes in at over $30.
CRD-001.JPG

On the other hand, MAX22701E (datasheet) is approximately $5, including the additional recommended circuit:
MAX.JPG

Both are isolated gate drivers, where MAX22701E has (proprietary) integrated digital galvanic isolation, and the CRD-001 (a more expensive one) uses an opto-isolator component. MAX22701E uses the board's Vcc, while CRD-001 uses two DC/DC converters (each costing approximately $15).
There is also the TI TIDA-01605 (web and schematics), which has +15Vdc for high and -4Vdc for low, where "negative driving voltages allow for safer operation and improved noise immunity", while in the previous two, I think, low is 0Vdc.

Basically, the question is which one is 'better', i.e., how to define what is 'better'.
Also, if I am to design my own gate driver, should I be leaning more towards the CRD-001 or the MAX22701E design or something else?

Thanks, MB

SiC MOSFETs may need negative drive for best leakage.
They are crappy like early '80s power MOSFETs used to be.
So you might like drivers from that vintage. A couple of my
old (long gone along with the fab) driver designs were that
way, 0-8V in and "- whatever" to "+ whatever" output swing.

UC37xx drivers, if you can still find them, look carefully at
whether "logic ground" and "power ground" are kept
independent or bonded inside the package / on die.

If you are for flying high side drive then you want those
isolated drivers. A low side switch can use a cheaper simpler
driver. But keep negative gate rail in mind, in evaluating /
selecting SiC MOSFETs as depending on leakage and
turn-off speed, you may need that.

There's no secondary power supply in the shown MAX22700 circuit. In so far it's no fair comparison.

Last edited:
There's no secondary power supply in the shown MAX22700 circuit. In so far it's no fair comparison.
Pricewise, yes. Probably another $10 to $20 more if I go with e.g., DCR010505U.
But leaving the price aside for a moment... I am more interested in terms of functionality; which would be more advisable to use?

you have not mentioned high side voltage, or frequency - but the IR2110 / 2113 accepts 3v3 inputs and can go to 600V ( nearly ) high side, as well as the low side drive - needs buffering for best results.

First step is identifying driver requirements:
- gate voltage
- gate current/charge
- isolation working voltage
- isolation dv/dt (particularly for SiC high side drivers)

Driver module CRD-001 is rather old and apparently designed for high gate currents. We usually don't have so many parallel gate resistors, except with highest power IGBT drivers.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: